The memorial house was built by the poet Vasile Alecsandri in 1867 after his own design It is 4 km from Roman - Iasi and Roman - Suceava highways.
In the poet's will from 1885 the poet left the Mircesti house to the Romanian Academy with all its goods, including the library and some autographed manuscripts. As late as in 1914 the Romanian Academy enters into the possession of the house de facto and they name a custodian of the entire property. Therefore, from 1914 to 1944 this memorial and cultural house was opened to the public. This museum is seen as the first literary memorial house in Romania, even if unofficially.
During world war two the building and its goods suffered a lot, needing restoration. As late as in 1955 the building regained its status as a museum, and on the 9th of June 1957 it is inaugurated as a repository of cultural memory.
In 1987 the permanent exhibition was rebuilt in accordance with new modern technical standards. In 1992 the permanent exhibition was restored and reorganised, while in 1993 it was reopened to the public.
The arrangement concerns just five rooms and a corridor (the entrance hall, the billiard room, Mary's room, the dining-room, the bedroom, the working room), the rest of the halls being unfit for that.
The permanent exhibition chronologically reconstitutes the stages of Vasile Alecsandri's life and moments linked to his literary activity. There are on display: the parents' portraits, those of the family, the Iasi and Paris studies, the literary debut, the activity of playwright, the participation in the 1848 events and the Unification period.
The following room is dedicated to the time of the lyrical poems and Junimea society, whose president of honour he was , to the work glorifying the struggle for independence, as well as the great historical plays. His relationship with poet Fr. Mistral is mentioned and his Montpellier award for "Song for the Latin Stock'. The dining-room presents the close friends of the poet, outstanding personalities of Romanian culture: C. Negri, M. Eminescu, C. Negruzzi, T. Maiorescu, M. Kogalniceanu, Ion Ghica, A. Hurmuzachi, Jacob Negruzzi as well as his wife and daughter.
The visitor admires portraits by C. D. Stahl, N. Livaditti, Costache Agafitei, Victor Mihailescu-Craiu, Traian Mocanu, Ioan Georgescu, as well as epoch engravings, photocopies likely to recreate the real Mircesti atmosphere.
The windows display first editions of his works autographed by the poet: 'Popular Ballads of the Romanians', Bucharest, 1866; 'Ballades et chants populaires', Paris, 1856; 'Drama Repertoire'. Iasi, 1852; 'A Peasant's Wedding', Iasi, 1848; 'Village Hugs', Bucharest, 1863; 'Lyrical Songs', Paris, 1853; 'Prince Despot', Bucharest, 1880; 'Ovidiu', Bucharest, 1890, a.s.o.; the poet's papers and documents, manuscripts, letters, as well as library objects, the desk, the dining table, armchairs, carpets, curtains, diplomat's trunk, bicornous, lounge chairs, cardboards, a Turkish sofa, a fan, a pipe, a microscope, albums, medals, badges, etc.
All the authentic exhibits bring to life the magic atmosphere in which he wrote his works : 'Prince Despot', Horatio', Legends', 'The Red Forest', etc.
In the courtyard of the memorial house there is the mausoleum raised by the Romanian Academy where the poet's coffin lies and the bones of his parents. The garden is full of centuries old oak-trees, marvellous plants and alleys.