News about Nahlin
The "Libertatea" ship, classified by the Ministry of Culture by order no. 3041/the 14th of July 1998 in the "Heritage" category, is the "Luceafarul" ex-yacht of the Romanian royal family, initially named "Nahlin". The information on the ship's characteristics come from the Maritime Design Group Company, Galati, who received it from "Edminston & Company Limited" from London.
The "Nahlin" turbine and two propellers yacht, supplied with mineral oil fuel, with a displacement of 1572 tones was designed by "G. L. Watson & Co", Glasgow and executed by "John Brown & Co. Ltd", Clydebank, in 1930, at the order of Lady Joule from England. In the "Loyd's Yacht List", Lady Joule is enlisted as owner of other two ships in 1929 and 1932. (Motor Boat and yachting, London, the 17th of April 1970).
In 1934, "Nahlin" was classified as one of the biggest private cruise yachts ever built in England.
Here are its main dimensions and other design peculiarities:
Total length || - 89.3 m|
| Width || - 10.98 m|
|Ship's maximum draught || - 4.42 m|
|Tonnage in sweet water || - 1574 tones|
|Speed || - 17.4 nodes|
|Engine power || - 2×200 HP|
|Maximum displacement || - 2017 tones|
|Total number of persons on board || - 351
The body of the ship is made of steel, a type that is frequently used for this kind of ships, it has a double bilge and the body is divided in many tight compartments.
The ship is gracious and elegantly proportioned. The clipper shape is one more positive element that adds to the pleasant look achieved by the designer.
It is interesting to mention that the name "Nahlin" is of North-American Indian origin and means "the flag ship".
The bowsprit is decorated with a figure representing an Indian painted for war and wearing a feather casque. The rest of the ship was designed as a continuation of this figure.
The castle of the ship - a row of cabins and a promenade deck - is situated at the prow and on the main deck. Other cabins are situated close to the stern. The big elliptical funnel also suggests the yacht image.
The ship has the following facilities for its passengers: two rooms of the owner situated at the prow. The suite on the right side of the ship is decorated in the style of the late William and Mary period. The corresponding suite on the left side of the ship is decorated in the Louis XVI style but in a more austere manner. A very well equipped gym hall is situated close to the owner's suites. Six guest suites, decorated in the Louis XVI style, are placed at the stern. Near them, four baths with grindstone walls. The access from the guestrooms toward the entry hall on the main deck is made on a spiralled stair with bronze banisters. The ladies toilette is situated on the left side of the ship, behind the entry hall, while on the right side there is an antechamber which leads to the dressing room, decorated in the Louis XVI style. A wide promenade deck is situated behind the dressing room.
The dining-room occupies the front part of the castle and is decorated in the style of the William and Mary period.
The ladies suites decorated in "Adam" style, together with the captain's ones are situated at the prow. The same part of the ship sustains the library and the smoking room, the walls of the rooms being dresses in French nut-tree wood.
The navigation deck has an observation room destined to the guests, with wide sliding windows all around so that the view would not be obstructed.
The facilities offered to the crew had a high standard of comfort. Beside the captain's suites, the electrician and the mechanic chiefs had their own rooms, behind the main deck. The other officers and the crew had rooms at the stern and in the central castle.
"Nahlin" is equipped with one of the most modern installations produced by the Sperry Gyroscope Company - the gyroscope allowing a mechanical control of the sailing direction; Sperry lights and a system that indicated the ship's inclination degree are also part of the equipment.
The ship is equipped with a 1.2 kW installation and with an apparatus for maintaining the sailing direction. As it was designed for long cruises, the yacht has a great storing capacity, including compartments for freezing the food supplies.
The propelling equipment of the "Nahlin" yacht is made of two sets of Brown-Curtis turbines, with simple reduction. This type of propeller, chosen for its silent functioning and lack of vibrations, proved its efficiency.
The steam generating compartment is made of two main heating installations having three compartments, with over-heating and adapted to petroleum fuel consumption. Two big vertical heaters were installed to provide steams for the auxiliary services and for the kitchen.
The electric energy was provided by two steam actioned generating sets and could be stored in the accumulators placed in the screw shaft tunnel.
The yacht has boatsof the owner, of the crew, a speed boat, two life boats and two life rafts.
Short history of the ship:
During the first four years of exploitation the yacht had sailed over 200,000 marine miles around the Britannic islands, in the Baltic Sea, the Greek islands, the Atlantic Ocean, the Canary Islands, the West Indies, the American coast and the Mexico Gulf. The Galapagos Islands were visited in the Pacific; then it sailed from Honolulu to the Hawaii Islands, toward the north side of the Tahiti Island and the South Society Archipelago; in New Zealand and in Australia.
In 1934, after visiting a great part of the world, Lady Joule decided that the "Nahlin"cruise ship should be rented or even sold.
On the 18th of October 1938, "Nahlin", now bearing the name of "Luceafarul", hosted, in Galati, a meeting between king Carol II of Romania, the Polish Minister of Foreign Affairs, colonel Beck and the Romanian Minister of Foreign Affairs, Petrescu Comnen, where they discussed about the post-Munich political crisis.
Last update: May 4, 1999; web: Cornelia Calin