Cultural Manifestations Organised by the Astra Museum
For the Campaign "Europe, a Unique Patrimony"
The Academy of Traditional Arts in Romania
"The Academy of Traditional Handicrafts in Romania", opened on the 14th of August 1993, is the national forum which gathers the most valuable folk artists and specialists in folk art in a vivid, open, concrete, democratic and permanent dialogue concerning the past (the tradition), the present and the future of the artistic creation of all types and of all social and ethnical medium in our country.
The Academy Object:
- an objective record of:
- the most important changes occurred in the field of traditional folk art creation all over country
- the folk artisans' outlook on their own statute and their social tasks
- the way the modern utilitarian or the artistic decorative function of the contemporary folk art objects are preserved
- the handicraft production, as an epiphenomenon of the genuine folk art creation
- an estimation of:
- how the artistic handicrafts have been handed over through generations - spontaneous or directed - in respect of their techniques, morphological, stylistic and ornamental repertory
- the possibility to revive the artistic handicrafts in some old places with continuous and strong traditions, or even to from "schools of folk art and artistic handicrafts" in new places, which can also make effective the tourism
- the promotion of the Romanian folk art objects at their real price, both in the country and abroad.
To become a member of the Traditional Handicrafts Academy of Romania it is necessary a recommendation of at least three members of the Academy Presidium, a majority of the Presidium votes and the agreement of the person involved no matter age, sex, religion, profession or nationality.
The quality of the Academy membership is certified by a special diploma offered on the occasion of being admitted in the Academy.
The aim of "The Academy of Traditional Handicrafts of Romania" is that of analysing the current problems of preserving and reviving the traditional handicrafts of drawing attention towards the priceless values of this treasure to fight against any bad creation that might affect, in an aggressive way, the culture and the art of our villages.
The structure of the "Academy of Traditional Handicrafts in Romania" consists of the sections:
Maria Spiridon from Avrig
The vocal singer Veta Biris
The heat maker Octavian Dadarlat
From its foundation since august 1993 till now, 32 editions have taken place including a number of 135 members, 1 honorary member in 4 distinct sections:
- Folk arts (weaving, pottery, wood carving, egg painting, icons on glass, fur processing, bone processing etc)
- Mechanic arts (constructor craftsmen)
- Musical arts (vocal and instrumental performers)
- "Ludic" arts (choreographers)
- Literary arts (poets and folk narrators)
- folk art - 109 members,
- mechanic arts - 10 members,
- "ludic" arts - 9 members,
- musical arts - 7 members.
Types of creations || members
|weaving || 24||pottery || 22
||wood carving || 13
||bone processing|| 1
||metal processing || 1
||amber processing || 1
||tin inlaid || 1
||church builder || 1
||religious sculpture || 1
||icons on glass || 4
||naiv painting || 7
||egg painting || 4
||masks manufacturing || 5
||musical instruments manufacturing || 6
||saddler's || 2
||fur processing || 9
||hatter || 2
||traditional crochet || 2
||vegetal fibres weaving || 3
Musical and "Ludic" Arts
vocal and instrumental performers || 2
blacksmiths, felter, sawmiller,
clockmaker or clockmender, organmender
According to the UNESCO programme (the recommendation from 1989, made actual again at Venice, in February 1999 and at Washington, in August 1999), it is necessary a real co-operation among the cultural associations and institutions involved in preserving "The Living Human Treasures", through:
- mutual popularisation of folk culture, by means of: artisans' exhibitions, workshops, international fairs;
- participation of the best folk singers and folk ensembles at festivals of folk music;
- exchange of publications;
- promotion of some bilateral and multilateral projects for specialists' training and documentation;
- promotion of the Romanian products of folk art on the international market, at their real price;
- exchange of experience in the field of artisans' social protection.
Custodians Marcu Aurelia and Mirela Cretu
[ Index ]