|Museum candidate for the "European Museum of the Year Award 1997"|
Address : 19 Cuza Voda st., Roman Town, Neamt County, Romania,|
About the Museum
The Museum of History in Roman was founded on the 1st of September 1957 when Mr. Vasile Ursachi, who had recently graduated from the Iassy University, Department of History, was named director of this institution that hardly had any heritage at that time. The first building that used to shelter the Museum, in 202 Stephen the Great street, was made up of two rooms, of which one used as the director's home. It was here that the first exhibition was opened in 1958. The necropolis of the free Dacians from Gabara - Moldoveni (Porcesti), brought to light by the first systematic researches in the Roman area, used to be on display.
The second exhibition opened on occasion of the centenary celebration of the 1959 Unification of the Romanian Principalities. The area was very little studied in the past, as in the Roman surroundings at the time when the Museum was founded just a few isolated spots had been discovered and no systematic diggings had taken place. The ground was ripe for surface researches and then, systematic ones, that at the beginning used to include all the ages. Thus resulted a chronologically and typologically diverse collection and heritage. After enough items for a permanent exhibition were gathered, as the museum had already been housed in two places, one where at present there is the Museum of Natural Sciences, and the second one in the present headquarters of Romconstruct Roman Ltd., sheltering a permanent exhibition of a precious heritage from the systematic diggings of the museum, in 1962 we began to arrange a basic exhibition, in 33 Cuza Voda street.
Once moved into this place, other two sections appeared - Natural Sciences and Fine Arts. The Natural Sciences Museum lasted for just a few months as in 1962 the Museum was moved from Adjud to Roman, while the Arts Museum was moved in 1968 to a new place, where it still lies.
As the museum heritage grew richer as a result of the intense archaeological researches in the area, the basic exhibition was reorganised in a new, much larger space as well. Thus, in 1988, the museum obtained a new building, very close to 26 Cuza Voda street, a monument of architecture known as the 'Negruzzi Palace'.
[text: director dr. Vasile Ursachi]
[webdesign: Cornelia Călin]